Thailand

Thailand

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Heather McHugh comes to Ohio

What a delight it was to be in the company of the poetry rockstar Heather McHugh, who came all the way from Seattle to Kent, Ohio, and is the new person I want to be when I grow up. She seemed wonderfully uninhibited, dropping profanities and sillinesses in, leaning close and looking at us with intimacy, telling stories that moved us. Her poetry is dense and smart and gorgeously aural, and she read slowly, giving us time to take it in. Afterward, she sat down on some steps so she could sign books and chat and joke with us. I am tempted to break the book stack rules and put hers right on top! but I am in the middle of "Ghosts of Spain" by Giles Tremlett, which has me, and "Three Cups of Tea" is next - good timing, in the midst of the p.r. tempest that questions its historical veracity. I'll enjoy McHugh's book when it comes around, and try not to run away to Seattle to join the circus.

No comments:

Post a Comment