Thailand

Thailand

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Three Cups of Tea

I'm about halfway through this book. Although the writing itself isn't very strong, I think, I am drawn into the story. I've long been interested in the idea that people can get hooked on something and doggedly pursue it. In this case, it's schools for Pakistani children, and Greg Mortenson, at least in this telling, is amazing, no... heroic in overcoming the obstacles. I don't know what the recent controversy over this book is about, so I'll look into that a bit when I finish.
I remember thinking about people's fixations when I worked a 4-H fundraiser at a dog show some years ago. I was a food vendor, so there was a lot of down time, and I watched with curiosity. Each dog represented incredible commitments of time and expense, and as I observed them and their owners perform that day, I was imagining what our communities would be like if we could somehow tap into that motivation.
In Three Cups of Tea, one man is doing that, and, also high on the marvelous scale, the story gives Americans a glimpse into the world that our government invests much focus on.
What if all that power could be trained on helping communities fulfill their self-determined potential, instead of selling weapons and making war?

No comments:

Post a Comment