Thailand

Thailand

Saturday, August 20, 2011

On friendship

My friends from college stopped over on their way from southern Ohio to the Poconos. I invited a few kindred souls to join us. I had fresh vegetables from my CSA shares, so I roasted green beans, eggplant, hot and sweet peppers and tomatoes. I tossed sauteed zucchini and pattypan with olives, sun dried tomatoes and whole grain pasta. And I made large tarts of thinly sliced green, yellow and red tomatoes over grated fontina cheese on a crust of delicate puff pastry. For dessert, a 3-layer chocolate cake with white chocolate frosting and locally made ice cream. The conversation stretched through two and a half bottles of wine and two carafes of coffee.
The next morning, after a quick tour of Youngstown, my friend hugged me and said, "Thank you for sharing your wonderful life with us."
What a gift. Thank you, friend, for looking past the unfinished projects, chronic disorganization, blight in my city. You saw the community and connection, the celebration, so many flowers in bloom. Much is good here.

No comments:

Post a Comment