Thailand

Thailand

Monday, January 16, 2012

Apple Pineapple Pie

I have used the same shortening-based pie crust recipe for... well, ever. That's unusual for me - I like mixing it up. So I was pleased to see this pie recipe came with its own butter crust. The dough is thick and unresponsive - I love how nimble a shortening crust is - but baked up, oh my. It's got a lovely crust crust, that is, a thin, crispy toothiness at the very top, and it's flaky (in a good way). I recently saw that my favorite organic butter is "recommended" by the wonderful food snobs at Cook's.

I don't know where I got this recipe - it looks like it was clipped from the newspaper, and has likely been in my untried recipes for a long time. It had a different name, but I loved the sound and rhythm of apple pineapple pie. It seems like a strange combination of fruits, but it works, and the cranberries give it a pretty pinkness.

Crust: 
3 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 c. butter, chilled
Cut butter into flour/salt and fork in 8 T. ice water. 


Filling: 
1 c. raw cranberries, fresh or frozen
5 1/2 c. sliced apples
1/4 c. canned crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. white sugar
1 tsp. grated orange peel
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Preheat oven to 400. 

In food processor, mix cranberries, 1/2 c. apple slices, pineapple, sugars, spices. Process until chopped but not mushy.

Spread half the mixture on bottom of pie crust. Arrange remaining apple slices over this and cover with remaining cranberry mixture. Top with remaining crust, sealing edges well and cutting steam vents. (Don't brush with sugar or milk or anything.) Bake 15 min. then lower oven to 350, bake 35-45 min. or until apples are tender.   

2 comments:

  1. This went over big at our writer's group at the Davis Center. I wish I hadn't been full from dinner and had tried it. Keep on baking Karen. Maybe you should open a bakery or do a blog on baking. You are a wonderful baker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Janice. You writers are fun to bake for.

    ReplyDelete