Thailand

Thailand

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Glazed Apple Pastry

Years ago, maybe a couple decades ago, my mom gave me a cookbook - you know, one of those spiral bound fundraisers. I cut out all the recipes I thought I'd try and one by one, I have tried them.  There are just a few left in my to-try recipe box, and this came out yesterday. It's lovely, homemade looking, with a balanced and delicate taste. I'd passed it up because the dough has to be rolled, but it really wasn't the ordeal I'd imagined. Roll the dough out, drop the apples on top and fold it in - easier than pie. I used golden delicious apples from my winter CSA share, and added some cracked red wheat to the flour. The recipe is attributed to Beth Parker in Wyoming County. If you know Beth, please thank her for me.

Glazed Apple Pastry

Pastry: 1 1/3 c. flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 c. butter, 4-5 T. cold water

Combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture is the size of small peas. Sprinkle water, a little at a time, over mixture while stirring with a fork until dough is just moist enough to hold together. Roll out on a floured surface to a 14x10" rectangle. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. (My pastry leaked a bit at one corner, so I was glad I had it on a jelly roll pan.)

Filling: 4 c. peeled, thinly sliced apples, 5 T. sugar, 1 T. flour, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/8 tsp. salt
Glaze: 1/2 c. confectioner's sugar, 1 T. milk, 3-4 drops lemon extract, 2 T. sliced almonds

Mix together flour, cinnamon and salt. Toss mixture with apple slices. Place slices down center of dough. Fold up dough on each end. Fold sides over apples, leaving an inch of apple showing down center. Bake at 400 for 30-40 min. until golden grown. Remove from oven. Drizzle glaze over pastry while hot and sprinkle with almonds. Serve warm. Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment