Youngstown gets its arts on for the holidays, and the Youngstown Cash Mob will be there.
Our November cash mob event will visit the holiday sale of the Artists of the Mahoning Commons in the historic Ward Bakery building, 1024 Mahoning Ave. This former bread factory will be creaking with painted silk scarves and pillows, small and large sculpture, jewelry, pottery, watercolor painting, photography, Christmas decorations, handmade hats, mittens, cupcakes, maple syrup, granola…
The Youngstown Cash Mob day will be Sat. 17 Nov. noon to five, although the sale will continue the following Sat. and Sun. noon to five. An extra treat for us will be the performance of the Youngstown Complaints Choir! Conductor-composer-poet Kelly Bancroft collected complaints of Youngstown residents and set them to music. Wouldn’t the world be a better place if our complaints were always accompanied by music?
We have added a free raffle to the cash mob days. This month’s winner will receive a $10.00 gift certificate for The Health Food Center at 6015 Market St. The free tickets will be available at the Cash Mob table – stop by and say hello! You don’t have to be there when we draw the winning ticket at the end of the day. Congratulations to last month’s recipient of a gift certificate for Joe Maxx Coffee!
Instead of a formal December cash mob, we’re focusing the whole month on buying local for the holidays. Here are some gift ideas:
- For someone who cares about skin: Lovely, handcrafted soaps from bodygoodies.
- For someone who entertains: An antique dish from Joshua Tree full of retro candy from Touch the Moon Candy Saloon.
- For the
foodies in your life: A gift card for artisan bread from The Bread Chef and handcrafted jams from the Northside Farmer’s Market.
- For someone having a big event this year: A coupon for the most beautiful birthday/graduation/baby shower cake ever from Clarencedale Cake or Sugar Showcase.
- For parents or kids: A parents’ date night, including babysitting and a gift card from one of our wonderfully locally owned restaurants, or a kids’ day out at Oh Wow! science center and a stop at Maggie’s Magic Muffins.
- For householders: A gift card for Uhrain Greenhouses, Girard Hardware, déjà vu décor, Star Supply or Mahoning Valley Vacuum.
- For the love of your life: A gift card from Massage Café and Underdog Records.
- For someone who has moved away: Youngstown t-shirt or memorabilia from Youngstown Nation.
- For a reader: a stack of current fiction from Dorian Books.
We are so lucky to have these unique shops in our community, and they would appreciate your support. In a nutshell, think local these holidays! If you buy something wonderful and would be willing to send us a photo, we'll post it on our facebook page.
Our January cash mob will be at a business that’s younger than three years old. How can you nominate? Join our facebook page. Our nominations day is Sun. 2 December. We look forward to learning about the new kids on the block, so we can stop by and give them plenty of support. Our new businesses don’t have the advantage of million dollar ad campaigns and national name recognition. That’s where we come in!