Thailand

Thailand

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Thank you, Ohio Arts Council



Again, a most sincere thank you to the Ohio Arts Council for my 2012 Individual Excellence Award.

On a personal level, I am humbled and more grateful than I can say to have received this honor and support for my poetry. This award has given encouragement to me, my professors and fellow graduates of the Northeast Ohio Master of Fine Arts, and many others in community. This is much larger than any individual. I really feel that what rewards are given one of us, are given all of us, on some level.

It takes courage to stand up for the arts at a time when state spending is going through The Mangle. But the arts, in a place like Youngstown, are a critical element of the quality of life. For the individual artist, art is a vehicle for creative expression, but it’s more than that. Our community would be much poorer without the large and generous community of artists we find ourselves in. It's one of my favorite things about living in Youngstown, and the Ohio Arts Council is helping to keep that alive.


3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Karen! You are such a talented writer. A Rock Star for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janice! You're so sweet. I miss you all. Keep writing.

      Delete
    2. I have been writing but I miss our group and all the critiquing. It was so helpful and kept me going.

      Delete