Thailand

Thailand

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Crustless Pear Pie



My friend recently became the caretaker of a farmhouse and I became the grateful recipient of a basketful of farm pears. They reminded me of the pear tree we had when I was a teenager. I didn’t know yet to appreciate tree-ripened fruit grown in my own backyard, without pesticides. I just knew I loved them.

So I got out a stack of pear recipes and the second one I hit on is wonderful. I clipped it from a magazine, where it's attributed to Eunice Gutbrod of Greenfield, Wisconsin. Thank you, Eunice.

The recipe says to make this in a 9” pie plate, but I made it in a hand-thrown casserole dish and it’s lovely. I got the almonds and butter from the new Amish Marketplace here in Youngstown. Mmmm, the butter is so buttery.

Crustless Pear Pie

4 c. sliced, peeled pears
½ c. sugar
1 T. cornstarch
¼ tsp. each cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg
2 T. chopped almonds
¾ c. flour
½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
¼ c. cold butter

Combine pears, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Transfer to baking dish.
Combine flour, brown sugar, baking power and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over the top, then sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 350 for 40-45 min. or until golden.


No comments:

Post a Comment